Health Care Shopping: Continue Your Journey
OTHER USEFUL LINKS TO ASSIST YOU IN BEING MORE INFORMED AND TO HELP YOU MAKE BETTER HEALTH CARE DECISIONS:
Health insurance plan finder and marketplace calculator
I don’t have health insurance, but need health care services, what do I do?
Here are some sites to search for health plan options, with estimated prices you would expect to pay based on your income:
- Kaiser Family Foundation – health insurance marketplace calculator
- Nerdwallet – recommends different health insurance plans after collecting family information
- Washington Health Healthplanfinder– the official Affordable Care Act-compliant health benefit exchange for Washington State
Questions to ask your doctor, pharmacist, or surgeon
Your health depends on good communication with your doctor and pharmacist. Here are some online resources to help you know what questions to ask.
Questions for the doctor:
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality – 10 questions you should know to ask your doctor
Questions for the pharmacist about your medication:
Questions to ask before having surgery:
Questions about procedures, tests, and treatments
Here are online resources to help you learn more about medical tests and procedures.
- Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research – provides an alphabetical list of tests and procedures with explanations including why they’re done and any risks
- WebMD – provides alphabetical list of tests and procedures and why they are important
Procedure cost look-up
Health cost calculators can help you estimate your costs for medical services and procedures in the ZIP code where you receive care.
Health care provider look-up
Use this tool to find and compare providers by provider, city or zip code.
State of Washington health resources
Here are some Washington State resources where you can go to learn more about health insurance, programs and services to prevent illness and injury, promote healthy choices, and provide information.
- Office of Financial Management: Sponsor of the Washington statewide all payer health care claims database (WA-APCD) to support transparent public reporting of health care information
- Department of Health
- Department of Social and Health Services: Food, Cash & Medical; Mental Health & Addiction Services
- Health Care Authority: Apple Health (Medicaid) coverage; Washington Prescription Drug Program
- Office of the Insurance Commissioner: Learn all about health insurance; Learn about Medicare
- Department of Veterans Affairs: Claims Assistance
- Washington State Hospital Association
- Washington State Medical Association
- Washington State Department of Labor & Industries: Safety & Health
Federal agency health resources
Here are some Federal agencies where you can go to learn more about health promotion and disease prevention, and federal programs like Medicare.
Consumer advocates/help for financial, insurer disputes, or other needs